A toddler in Detroit was mistakenly served margarita mix instead of apple juice in his sippy cup last weekend. The tot’s mother noticed he was acting funny when he was saying “hi” and “bye” to the walls and finally laid his head down to rest on the table. Thankfully the toddler only took a few sips and did not finish his drink. A trip to the emergency room revealed the toddler had a blood alcohol content of 0.10%, which is over the legal limit of 0.08%. Good thing he wasn’t driving his G.I. Joe Jeep. No body at the table had ordered alcoholic beverages, so it can’t be explained why the tot did not get apple juice. Applebee’s margarita mix is no joke. It’s strong for even the most seasoned drinkers, much less for a 15 month old.
Applebee’s issued a press release Monday apologizing to the parents, and assuring the public that their entire staff across the country will undergo beverage pouring policy retraining. Not only will they retrain their entire staff, but also change their apple juice to single serve containers that will be poured at the table. In addition they are conducting their own investigation.
The press release was issued in good time and it seems like the company is really trying to make amends for the issue. The parents however, could still possibly sue for medical bills or whatever they choose. Hopefully they’ll also get free meals for a lifetime- or until their kid turns 21 and is old enough to actually enjoy margaritas.
Originally Published on: Apr 13, 2011 @ 18:05